Jumat, 19 Agustus 2011

Cortona - City of Delights

City of Cortona is magical in a way very much. It has been immortalized in the book Frances Mayes' "Under the Tuscan Sun," and the movie with the same title. History and importance, however, far exceeds the modern City has received attention. The city was originally occupied by the Umbrians, the first tribe that inhabited the Italian peninsula. They were conquered by the Etruscans and the enlarged city. In the end, Cortona became a Roman colony and one of the cities involved in the various wars that lasted for centuries between the city-state part of Italy. Today, maintaining the atmosphere of medieval Cortona, although traces of an old base can be seen throughout
.https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiYepoFhH8DSk1Gv_-hwOu5WtO3kCEfYgESvO4tJReI05FhSlS9AYCJudNIWoYhXLMwa6k05mR-MnX9_1qMwwTTxS7HBs2lwlXqdfuMYF04qx8ZkeBn0pq2x5w97AjXp44NBle-HB5dGw/s1600/Tante+Girang+Cantik+Kuta+Bali2.jpg
I first visited Cortona with my friend in my birthday a few years ago. We ate lunch there and fly magically through the city streets without a clear purpose in mind. Tired, shopped out and actually stuffed, we left with a vow to return again. I've spent ages-some solo some of Cortona. On a solo trip to Cortona, I stopped in beautiful leather and paper shop to buy yourself a special birthday gift. I chose the pumpkin orange beautiful photo album of soft leather. Clerk asks if it is a gift-un-regallo as she would wrap it. I told her it was a gift, for me because it was my birthday. Not only did he wrap a gift, he brought others from the back of the store to want me "tante auguri, buon compleanno"-a happy birthday. He is also wrapping some paper pencil wrapped in a beautiful Tuscan marbelized as a gift. I have found this friendly welcome, it will be easy on each trip I have made to Cortona.
Parking is at the bottom of the class is quite steep. I have learned to pass me, and my guests, by stopping two or three times on the climb and turn around and (with the last breath I) say "you should not miss this photo opportunity." A little fresh, we continue our climb as we passed 80-year old woman carrying shopping bags walking on the ramp without a bit of a problem. I remember one very fashionable guests from Houston who wore a stunning purple boots with 4 inch on the heels of our trip to Cortona. He had no problem with either hills or cobblestones in the streets and I followed behind him panting he was fascinated by the picture he made. To this day, when I picture Cortona, I think about my living in a beautiful purple shoes.https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEglrlSkBj1D3UuaoOtv2nSL4b22YbQFfqg47Pbw0kBYJMkRx3QxYeG5RT1f8NYC235VnUJYMT3wTEtCsp2s8tb0N_4acAp4BdtbddunLyBMC7MfkieO8HRixnvLqyje8gwMRmN3sKGXcw/s400/tante+girang+carbron+1.jpg
Great shopping in Cortona. There are some shops that specialize in leather goods and you can find purses, bags, belts and other leather goods in a delicious color from bright red to the green. There are some great art galleries permanent and temporary art exhibitions are always options. Only from the main square is the Museum of the Etruscan Academy. This museum, though small, has a fine collection of Etruscan and Roman artefacts and medieval and renaissance art.
Then there's lunch. My favorite place to eat is a restaurant called Locanda Nell Loggiata. This restaurant, which has a terrace overlooking the main square, is a good choice regardless of weather. In good weather, eat on the terrace allows you to watch people coming and going in the piazza below. The weather was less, the interior of the restaurant has a charming medieval setting and friendly. Either way, good food and great service.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_90piiW9zojM/TQPUCaFzX5I/AAAAAAAAAfc/wOnitZAplfs/s1600/tante-girang-hot.jpg

1 komentar: